San Jacinto Elementary School
Collaborative Teacher TEAMS
San Jacinto Elementary Teachers are a dedicated group of educators that meets regularly to shares expertise and works collaboratively to improve teaching skills and the academic performance of students.
This serves two purposes: (1) improving the skills and knowledge of educators through collaborative study, expertise exchange, and professional dialogue, and (2) improving the educational aspirations, achievement, and attainment of students through stronger leadership and teaching. Professional Learning Groups continually question, reevaluate, refine, and improve teaching strategies and knowledge. Meetings are goal-driven exchanges facilitated by educators who have been trained to lead professional learning communities. These meetings serve to:
- Discuss teacher work: Participants collectively review lesson plans or assessments that have been used in a class, and then offer critical feedback and recommendations for improvement.
- Discuss student work: Participants look at examples of student work turned in for a class, and then offer recommendations on how lessons or teaching approaches may be modified to improve the quality of student work.
- Discuss student data: Participants analyze student-performance data from a class to identify trends—such as which students are consistently failing or under performing—and collaboratively develop proactive teaching and support strategies to help students who may be struggling academically.
- What do WE expect OUR students to learn?
- How do we know OUR students have learned it?
- What do WE do if OUR students don't learn?
- What do WE do if OUR students do learn it?